Move-In Day Story

I remember the day like it was yesterday. It was a bright and sunny day. I rode with my mom and my dad drove my car to campus. I only lived 45 minutes away from campus so it wasn’t too bad of a drive. We had the first slot time at 8:00am and were the first ones there. I checked in at the desk and filled out my contact card. I got my keys and away we went to grab my things. They supplied carts and other students were helping push the carts inside for us. Once I got into my room I looked around to see how I wanted the layout of the room to be. Then I proceeded to put my stuff into place. I met my community advisor (CA) he was so nice and answered all of our questions. After we set up the room, my parents and I went to Garvey Commons for lunch. We talked about what I was missing and what I still needed. We then went to Target to pick up some things including a television, snacks, cable wire, easy mac, posters (for decorating), command strips, and a power strip. Once we got back, we took a walk around campus because my dad had never been there.

By 4:00pm my parents finally left, I tried not to cry when I waved goodbye. I went back into my room I noticed, I forgot my wallet in my mom’s car. I called her and she turned around to give it back to me. She pulled up by the side of the building to give it back and I cried. I don’t know why I did it this time but the flood gates opened. I went back to my room and noticed a girl in the hallway, so I decided to talk to her. Her name was Katie and we took a walk around campus talking about our lives and getting to know one another. After a while she went back to her room and I sat outside.

At 7:00pm the CA asked us to gather and go outside. We sat in a circle and did some icebreakers. On my floor there was 24 first year students. Around 8:00pm we walked down to the hockey center for the presidents welcome. After, we were told to go into the fieldhouse for some fun activities. SCSU supplied pizza, and games. I eventually went back and went to bed in my new college dorm room.

“This is my story of my move in day, each of us will experience it differently, but remember whatever happens take a breath and be confident. Make sure to take risks and go out of your comfort zone.”