My Student Affairs Origin Story (From Engineering to Student Affairs)

An Origin Story: From Semiconductors to Student Affairs

I quite often get confused looks, followed by endless questions, when I tell people my bachelor’s degree is in Materials Science and Engineering but I am currently pursuing my master’s in College Counseling and Student Development (CCSD). How could I pursue a degree so different from my bachelor’s? Did I not like engineering? Did I just not do well in engineering? What kind of career am I hoping to have after graduating? Though it seems like a confusing transition for most, I believe I can explain my transition from a world of semiconductors to the world of student affairs.

In high school, I excelled in science and math courses. Because of this, my high school guidance counselor and teachers told me time and time again how I should go into engineering. Well, just having heard that had me sold. I knew it was a well-respected, challenging field and quite simply, it sounded cool. Unfortunately, my inexperienced and naïve 17/18-year-old brain had not stopped to process or investigate what an engineering career would look like. What kind of people do engineers work with, what is the daily life of an engineer, or what level of stress and dedication do companies expect, were all things that I should have, but did not take into consideration when making the biggest decision of my life. Instead, I packed my bags and headed to the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities. I was a first-generation, financially-independent student assuming that my abilities in science and math meant engineering must be the right fit for me.

My freshman and sophomore years at the University of Minnesota felt as though I was on the right track and had made the right decision for myself. I was taking mostly general liberal education courses along with some chemistry, physics, and calculus. It wasn’t until my junior year that the red flags started becoming glaringly apparent. I began to notice that though I enjoyed my classes and did quite well in them, I didn’t seem to have this passion for materials science like my classmates did. Materials science spilled into their personal lives, reading articles and becoming involved in clubs and organizations as much as possible in their own free time. I began to notice my favorite courses each semester were my liberal education courses, not the courses within my major. Being a first-generation student, I also felt I was behind my classmates in finding research opportunities with professors; not quite understanding the system or how and when to apply. As my junior year progressed, I started to feel the dread that accompanied the realization that I had chosen a major without considering what career would truly make me feel fulfilled. Then came the summer between my junior and senior years where I experienced my “a-ha” moment.

During the summer between my junior and senior years, I worked as a peer assistant for the College of Science and Engineering’s Advising Center. In this role, I assisted the academic advisors with summer orientation sessions for in-coming freshman and transfer students. I had the chance to facilitate small and large group discussions, and work with students one-on-one to create their first fall schedules. I enjoyed working with such kind and energetic advisors and fellow peer assistants. But the best feeling was seeing these new students, coming into our space confused and nervous, leaving feeling prepared, confident, and having met new friends. And there was the “a-ha”. I realized that I wasn’t passionate about materials science and engineering because there was no reward for me, personally. Finishing a difficult problem or project in my classes didn’t give me a sense of fulfillment the way it seemed to for my classmates. I realized that I feel rewarded when I have helped someone personally, and can see my efforts resulting in a positive change for someone else. It was because of this role and my fantastic academic advisor, Jessie, that I knew I wanted a career somewhere within the education system. There was just the one issue, I was now entering my final year as an engineering major.

I knew going into my senior year that I did not want a career in engineering, but I also knew that I had put myself into a large amount of debt already; it was too late to start over. So, towards the end of my senior year I enrolled in TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) courses. I had always wanted to live in South Korea. Coming from a family of 8 children, we did not travel often, and especially not to foreign countries. I knew that after my senior year, it was my chance to travel and gain more experience in working with students. I was hired by EPIK (English Program in Korea) and was placed at three public schools in a city called Gunsan. For two years I worked with elementary, middle school, and adult students. They were definitely two of the best years of my life. Not to say they were without difficulty, but they were the most rewarding years I had ever had. As my Korean co-teachers explained it, English is the most stressful subject for students. They feel nervous, shy, and incompetent when it comes to speaking and learning English. I tried my best during those two years to make my classrooms a safe and exciting place to learn English. My co-teachers often complimented me, telling me how not only the students felt more confident in English, but they felt more confident as well with my help. Though I enjoyed being a teacher, I knew it was time for me to return home and reconnect with my family and friends. Which meant it was time to plan the next steps in my life.

While preparing to return home I reflected on my time teaching adult learners. They were my favorite age group to work with. I got to teach and help them as much as my younger students, without the immaturity and behavioral issues getting in the way. They were in my classes because they were self-motivated and wanted to learn. So, with all my experiences in mind, I decided to find a path that would bring me to a career working with students in the higher education system. Upon looking into my options online, I noticed the College Counseling and Student Development program offered at St. Cloud State University. It had me remembering my own academic advisor, Jessie. To me she represents exactly what it means to work in student affairs. She was always kind and professional, remembering details about thousands of students. Her knowledge of the university and its policies and procedures was immense; no question ever seeming to confuse or slow her down. She didn’t just solve students’ problems for them. She provided the tools and encouragement they needed to solve the issues themselves. With her and the other advisors I worked with during orientation being my examples, I came to realize that advisors, counselors, and other student affair educators are a student’s go-to source for all the tools and resources necessary to improve their academic careers, and often, their personal lives.

Having been accepted into the CCSD program I feel excited to become such a powerful resource and support for the future students I will work with. I know my own experiences as a first-generation and financially independent student have given me some good insight into what similar students of that nature are experiencing. I look forward to using my own experiences to help them. Having worked part time in a group home for the past five years, I also feel passionate about helping student with learning or developmental disabilities. It sometimes seems that more focus is spent on helping such individuals during their K-12 education, then such support appears to drop off. I hope to show greater support for these students in my career. I have found the CCSD program, as well as my Graduate Assistantship (GA) in the Advising and Student Transitions office, to be extremely warm and welcoming. Unlike my 18-year-old past self, I have put a great deal of consideration into what it is I want to do with my life. The CCSD program and my GA position are giving me the knowledge and skills I need to work in the field I fit best; student affairs.