Foundations for Writing

SCSU Site for English 191

Why a Smithsonian exhibit on Japanese-Americans and World War II is coming to Stearns

| 4 Comments

The article title appearing on today’s St. Cloud Times is “Smithsonian exhibit details an ‘injustice’: Display tells stories of Japanese Americans’ Internment,” and the lead describes the personal history of Sally Sudo, now an Edina resident.

ST. CLOUD —  Sally Sudo was among hundreds of thousands of Japanese Americans and Japanese nationals incarcerated in U.S. internment camps during World War II.

At six years old, Sudo and her family were forcibly removed from their home in Seattle and incarcerated until Aug. 18, 1945. The 83-year-old Edina resident spent first, second and third grade in an internment camp.

The Stearns History Museum is showcasing stories like hers by hosting “Righting a Wrong: Japanese Americans and World War II.”

The traveling Smithsonian Institution exhibit opens Sept. 3 with images, personal stories and objects from people incarcerated at internment camps. The museum will also include local exhibits from the era.

One image of the traveling exhibit shows the Mochida family, wearing identification tags,
as they wait for a bus. The family was forced to leave their nursery and greenhouse
operation in Eden, California in May 1942. (Photo: Dorothea Lange, Courtesy of National Archives)

I encourage you to visit this local exhibit, which will be in St. Cloud from September 3rd-January 5th. The cost for adults is $7.

The article also reports on Japanese Americans who were removed from camps and brought  to Minnesota to Camp Savage, which “was chosen as the Japanese language training facility for U.S. troops in World War II.” Many (and their relatives) “in Stearns County stayed in the area because their relatives came in the service during World War II. ”

This story has reminded me of Jerry (Jiro) Katayama, my father’s best friend. Jerry was a decorated Nisei (second generation Japanese American) who served in Military Intelligence in Leyte (an island in the Phillipines) and Okinawa during World War II while his family was incarcerated in a Japanese internment camp in California. His family lost everything. I’ve been thinking a lot about Jerry recently as immigrants at our southern borders have been incarcerated in camps (and one Japanese internment camp was almost used to house these immigrants). George Takei has also talked a lot about the internment recently too, linking it to current treatment of immigrants. Takei’s graphic novel memoir, They Called Us Enemy, tells the story of his family’s incarceration after Pearl Harbor and their experiences after the camps closed.

4 Comments

1. paperpros.org reviews by reading our latest reviews and share your own experience with our services. By providing your valuable feedback, you can assist fellow students in making wise decisions about their education.

2. The mobile gaming experience at Casumo Casіno, as detailed on https://onlinecasіnoprofy.com/en/casumo-casіno/mobile/ , caught my attention. The review discusses how their mobile platform performs, which is crucial for me as I often play games on my phone. The site outlines the usability, game selection, and overall performance of the mobile version, providing insights into how it compares to the desktop experience.

3. Verwenden Sie eine gute Formulierung, um festzustellen, wie die Konkurrenz abschneidet, damit Sie wissen, wie Sie sich positionieren müssen, um zu gewinnen..

4. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and affordability of the cheap modular homes under 20k available on this service website. With a budget of under 20 thousand, I was able to find a home that met all my needs and more. The website’s intuitive interface made it easy to browse through the available options and customize my home to my liking. The customer service team was also very responsive and helpful, guiding me through the process every step of the way. I’m thrilled with my purchase and would highly recommend this service to anyone in search of an affordable modular home.