Fulbright Contest: From an Applicant to a Finalist

If you have ever tried applying for different grants, you might be already familiar with how it works. Usually, the competition for any grant includes submission of the application documents, taking an interview, and probably taking certain exams. The details of a process, of course, depend on the type of grant. As you may guess, the Fulbright award also has a number of specific requirements for those who decide to apply for it.

Following up on my first post, I would like to introduce you to the column in which I am going to describe each step that I took during the Fulbright competition. So, welcome to Fulbright contest! If you were to ask me what it takes to become a Fulbright grantee, you are on the right page. In the sections of this column, I will explain each stage of the contest in detail, focusing on the most important things that a potential applicant may take into account. Useful tips and personal experience are included 😉

Disclaimer: the procedures of application and the rules of the competition itself may differ depending on a country. In this column, I am going to talk about the requirements for Russian participants who applied for the Fulbright Graduate Program in 2018 – 2019. If you want to apply for the grant or learn some specific details about the process of application, please, check the Fulbright website of your country. 

To have a general idea of what Fulbright contest in Russia looked like two years ago, have a look at this flowchart:

As mentioned before, I will provide you with more details about each stage in a few sections of this column. I hope you will find them informative and helpful.

Thank you for being with me! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to share them here. See you soon 🙂

Published by

Kseniia Maksimova

My name is Kseniia, and I am a graduate student at St. Cloud State University. My passion for writing and sharing my stories led me to the program of Rhetoric and Writing, and here I am – a hopeless dreamer and aspiring storyteller. I am obsessed with fancy notebooks, planners, colorful crayons, and other stationeries that help me to turn writing and note-taking into a creative process. I also can’t imagine my life without trinkets, music, and hot green tea. I am taking part in project “Dear Daughter” because I believe that sometimes stories can change the world, especially if these stories are about something people don’t often discuss.