Phones in the Classroom

Image result for high school students cell phonesOne of the biggest issues my high school faces is cell phones. Our students have devices that our school provides them, but they are still attached to their cell phone. It is disheartening to work hard on a lesson and see a class full of students on their phones (like the picture to the left). Through my six years, I have used a few different methods to mediate cell phone use in my classroom.

My first year, I struggled to control phones in my room. Students had them out constantly, and I did not know how to discourage the use. After that, I have installed a policy that is very plain and simple: If your phone is out and is a distraction, I will take it. If I take it, I will keep it until the end of the day. I provide a space for students to put their phone, if students think they will be too tempted by it, but very few students have used it in the past.

Image result for student cell phone memeWhen I ask my students why they need their phone on them, they insist it is for communication with parents. I, however, know they need the communication via social media. Students have strong connections to their social media because they feel it is how they are portrayed. Yes, this is one facet of their life, but they forget they are real people and have lives outside of their Snapchat and Instagram accounts.

I mentioned this in my teachnology philosophy, but I truly think students need time away from their screens. I love the technology my school has, but the between the cell phones and computers in my room, students are always looking at a screen. That is why I try to balance technology use with non-screen time as much as possible. It is a good skill to do without a screen from time-to-time. Most of my students do not do this often. Many of them are even surrounded by screens and technology while they are sleeping through music or television.

Overall the cell phone use definitely bothers me, but it bothers me more how addicted my students are to their screens and social media. How do other teachers control cell phone use? Any new ideas?

One response