Peer Editing: Online or on Paper?

In all of my classes, I create some type of peer editing for papers and projects. I think this is a great skill all students need to learn. Students are able to see their knowledge improve another peer’s text and can see how influential the writing process can be. It’s a win-win, but I have gone back and forth over whether or not peer edits are most effective on paper or online.

Related imageMy school uses Google for its central system. Almost all classrooms have a Google Classroom, we all have a Gmail. and we share via Google Docs/Forms/Sheets. It works pretty seamlessly in our school. One thing I love about Google Docs is the suggestion mode. (To the left is a picture of what suggesting mode looks like. Here is a link that explains it more.)  What I love about suggestion mode is that students are able to write over another’s writing, so the writer can see what changes are being made to their paper. I also love that is does show students another way to utilize their computers. My students have them, so why not use them? What I do not love is that it makes my students lazier when it comes to correcting their paper. After editing, students are able to “check” a box to change an edit; they do not need to physically change it. I think there is something about physically changing the same mistake again and again that shows students their constant errors.

However, peer editing on paper has its pluses and minuses also. Peer editing on paper makes grading peer editing easier on me. It also allows students to correct their paper by hand, showing them exactly what they are missing. On the other hand, it uses a lot more paper, does not utilize the expensive computers our district receives, and requires more planning on my students’ part (which, lets face it, is not their strong suit!). It also asks students to know the common editing marks, which they do not when they come to me.

So which is correct? I do not know. I, in my sixth year of teaching, have found a balance between the two options. Mixing it up keeps students on their toes and utilizes the pros and cons on each. How do other teachers use peer editing? What works best for you?

Image result for peer editing meme