Computer Distractions

Image result for swiping on computer memeI have this struggle in my classroom often. I think everyone is using their time wisely and that they are focused, but they are not. They stealthy about playing games and focusing on others tasks. They can swipe like no other. My students should be heading to the Olympics for their swiping abilities.

Let me give some background: I am a teacher in a one-to-one district. We have had Macbooks or Ipads in the classroom for the past six years. Students K-5 have an Ipad and 6-12 have a Macbook. I love the technology my students have, and I love incorporating technology into my classroom. I truly believe it benefits my classroom more ways than it hinders it.

One of the defaults is my students’ ability to swipe. Macbooks have a feature where the user can swipe with three fingers to move to a new screen. I am not quite techie enough to use this feature, but my students are. They swipe, and they swipe quickly. They swipe like it’s their homework assignment… that is due tomorrow… which is what they are avoiding doing by swiping.

As a first year teacher, I found the swiping and students being off task so annoying. I was infuriated when students would not follow directions, but as my career has progressed, I have become a bit more calm about the subject. It does not bother me so anymore. I do not spend time stressing over it, and I feel it happens less now than it did before. Sometimes I wonder if I just notice it less though because I am not looking quite as hard.

How do other people deal with students being off task on their computers? Is is better to let go of control a little?

3 responses

1. Hi Ashley,

I am also teaching in a one-to-one district and have struggled with similar issues. I teach 6-8 grade students and they are given iPads to use.

I have become just as stealthy at catching my students, as they are at flipping screens. In my class, I instruct students to put their technology away after the bell rings. If they do not, they have to place it at the front of the room until it is time to use it. Due to technology being a major distraction, my co-teacher and I have to develop specific lessons for using the iPads or it turns into a gaming session during instruction.

2. We pay for a program called GoGuardian where teachers have the ability to “enroll” students in their class and can see everything that is on their screen from a desktop. From there you can close tabs, limit tabs, block websites, one on one chat, and record their internet usage. The nice thing is the ability to log in when you are away from school and see what the kiddos are up to. Obviously students are not a fan because they are forced to be held accountable for their actions and choices digitally.

3. Hi there, Ashley. Thanks for sharing your experience. It reminds me of when I used to teach my students. The only best thing that can be done to improvise the situation is to use more engaging tasks and activities to divert the attention of students from their distractions to you. You might have noticed whenever there is an intense lecture more of the students make eye contact with you. We as a teacher should improve our communication techniques to engage the students better. I know it sounds more challenging in real time situation but communication techniques are part of good teaching skills. Right…
    The Nutrition Hunt