In the life of a graduate student one’s daily schedule is filled with demands and commitments. These are in addition to family and work-life obligations. For this reason, having the chance to “treat yourself” can be so invigorating. This is one of many reasons I decided to blend them in order to pursue study abroad. When I decided to apply to the SCSU Education Abroad program in Macerata, Italy, I was excited to step away from my daily routine to experience life as a graduate student studying abroad. I went to Italy as a student traveler, excited to learn, but also excited about the culture, food, and photography opportunities. When I returned from Italy, I had solidified confidence in my role as a doctoral student. The balance of travel, discussions with classmates, dedicated classroom time, and cultural experiences resulted in a robust, interactive, and meaningful experience.

The collaboration with the administrators and students at the University of Macerata (UNIMC) The tour of the University of Florence enhanced my respect and knowledge for the history of higher education and provided an opportunity to soak in some of this history. provided an opportunity to share ideas and present internationally. Being pushed out of my comfort zone as a student in a new country helped me to grow while I stepped out of my daily routine. The University of Macerata originated in 1290. There is something very powerful about absorbing the history in buildings that have provided the roots of our education system. The tour of the University of Florence enhanced my respect and knowledge for the history of higher education and provided an opportunity to soak in some of this history.

The tour of the University of Florence enhanced my respect and knowledge for the history of higher education and provided an opportunity to soak in some of this history.It was captivating to see handwritten entries in a card catalog housed in a library over 800 years old! Meetings and conversations with administrators from The University of Urbino reinforced my passion for the field of education while providing a new level of global knowledge.

Sweet treats and lessons

The culture, food, and photography opportunities in Italy did not disappoint. I had high expectations and they were surpassed. I shocked myself by becoming a coffee drinker for the first time in my life – falling in love with Italian Espresso! Even more surprising than my new-found coffee habit was how powerful the educational and personal lessons were as a result of my travels.

I remember sitting at an outdoor café during my second week of the study abroad experience, reflecting upon what I had learned and how I hoped the lessons would stick with me once I returned home to my routine.

What was surprising and made the strongest impression were the lessons gained that have helped me as a student and a professional in higher education. These lessons of confidence and support continue to help me as I am writing my dissertation. These include:

1. Don’t get too comfortable. Being out of my comfort zone is when I learn and grow, so I continue to push myself by setting small goals.
  2. Self care is important. Traveling is exhausting and so is being a student. So enjoy small moments of reflection and rest so I can stay motivated to reach my next goal.
  3. Ask for directions if needed. Getting lost is part of travel and part of the dissertation process. I reach out for support when I need motivation or have questions. Don’t be afraid to ask questions!

Little did I know, the lessons gained from the study abroad experience in Macerata, Italy created confidence, tools and community-building components that I needed to persevere through the program.

I use these lessons, along with Italian espresso to continue to reach my goals. Having time away to realign yourself with your goals is a unique opportunity. For me, this was a time to refocus, recharge and grow. Please contact me with any questions as you explore the opportunity to study abroad. I am excited to be in this current GA position assisting others interested in this great opportunity!

For a more detailed account of what we studied and explored during the 2018 education abroad experience, see my journal entry at:

https://today.stcloudstate.edu/higher-education-students-spend-two-weeks-at-university-of-macerata/

Melissa Ryan
Higher Education Administration Doctoral Candidate – Cohort 10
meryan1@stcloudstate.edu

The Italy program is open and accepting applications for 2020! The Information Session for the 2020 Education Abroad to Macerata, Italy program will be held online on Thursday, November 14, 2019 from 6-8 p.m. CST. Please contact Melissa Ryan to RSVP: hiedga2@stcloudstate.edu

52 thoughts on “Reflections on Education Abroad: Little Lessons for Daily Success

1. Once upon a year I studied abroad, it is an incredible experience that pumps different social skills + a foreign language. Since then, I love traveling and at least 2 times a year I take a car to rent at Rental24h.com and go to road trip.

2. Studying abroad will bring you closer to knowing every bit of yourself in an unknown land among strangers, and you will learn to survive beautifully by becoming more open-minded. Moving abroad is the ultimate self-reliance test. The top study abroad agencies in Kerala can help you make the right decisions with all the information needed.

3. Study Abroad: Key Steps to a Successful Start!
    When you decide to immerse yourself in international education, don’t forget the important details! One of the first steps is preparing documents. This will require translations. Don’t worry, the translation agency https://translation.center/ukr-de is ready to help! Find out how it can make your journey to study abroad easier.

4. Documents for studying abroad: Make professional translations!
    Translation of documents is an important stage of preparation for studying abroad. Accuracy and professionalism are worth their weight in gold here. Contact the translation agency https://translation.center/de to make sure that all your documents are transferred accurately and correctly. Don’t miss your chance for an international education!

5. Translation of documents: The key to successful admission to a foreign university!
    Looking to study abroad? Know that translation of documents is indispensable. Experts of the translation agency https://translation.center/ru will help you maintain the legal correctness and linguistic accuracy of your documents. Ready to start your educational journey outside your home country?

1. North Carolina notary public notarypublik24.online.
      A North Carolina notary public may notarize documents in any North Carolina county.

6. Study Abroad: Get Ready With Us!

Translation of documents is the first step to a successful study abroad. But don’t worry! Our translation agency https://lingua24.in.ua specializes in accurate and professional translations. We will help you make this process smooth and hassle-free. Your education is our concern!

7. Study Abroad: Take the first step towards your dream with us! 🌟

Getting ready for a vibrant and rich educational experience abroad? Don’t forget the importance of translating documents! Our translation agency https://g.co/kgs/HgyQP6 is here to help you. Entrust this important stage to professionals and boldly move towards your educational dream!

8. Formo parte del equipo de Aprobare y me siento honrado de brindar apoyo a los estudiantes en la elaboración de sus Tesis Doctorales https://aprobare.es/servicios/tesis-doctoral/. Nuestra misión es facilitar este proceso tan importante, proporcionando orientación especializada y recursos para que sus tesis sean exitosas. Estoy aquí para acompañarte en cada etapa y asegurarme de que logres tus metas académicas con éxito y confianza.

9. I keep pushing forward toward my ambitions with the help of these insights and a few shots of Italian espresso. Getting some distance from your normal routine is a rare chance to reevaluate your priorities. amanda the adventurer

10. Have you ever heard of PaybyPlateMa? It is a new and innovative way to pay bills online. Instead of sending your invoice by mail, you can use your PaybyPlatema account to pay immediately with a debit or credit card or even with your mobile phone.

11. PaybyplateMA is a new and innovative way to pay bills online. Instead of sending your invoice by mail, you can use your paybyplateMA account to pay immediately with a debit or credit card or even with your mobile phone.With a registered MA Pay-by-Plate account, you can easily pay your tolls with your gray card. In addition, users enjoy various discounts after registering on this portal. Users can only take advantage of these discounts after registering on this portal.

12. What an incredible journey! Balancing the demands of graduate studies with family and work commitments is undoubtedly challenging. Your decision to merge the pursuit of education abroad with experiencing a new culture is inspiring. Studying in Macerata, Italy, offered not just academic growth but a holistic experience filled with cultural immersion, delicious food, and photography adventures and visit https://premieressay-writers.net/ site there. It’s fantastic to hear how this experience enhanced your confidence as a doctoral student, blending travel, classroom learning, discussions with peers, and cultural exploration into a rich and meaningful journey. Cheers to the enriching experiences and learnings gained through your study abroad endeavor!

13. Ready to level up your web development game? 🚀 Hire PHP developers from GloriumTech and experience the difference expertise makes! 💻 Our dedicated team is equipped to handle diverse projects, delivering top-notch solutions tailored to your needs.

Discover the advantages of working with us at https://gloriumtech.com/hire-php-developers/. Elevate your web development journey with our skilled PHP developers! 👩‍💻👨‍💻 #PHPDevelopers #WebDevelopment #HireDevelopers #GloriumTech

14. Discover Bonafide DME for all your durable medical equipment needs! From wheelchairs to diabetic supplies, they offer quality products and outstanding service. Looking for an alternative to Brightree? Explore NikoHealth for efficient DME business management. Learn more at https://nikohealth.com/brightree-alternative/. #DME #Healthcare #NikoHealth

15. Welcome to Rocketplay, we believe in bringing you the best in gaming, and you can explore a diverse array of options on our website: https://rocketplay13.com/categories/table. Whether you’re into classic table games or seeking new adventures, we’ve got something for every gaming enthusiast.

16. One of the best games currently that provides the best prizes and provides the best games available on the Thai server and uses several features such as anti lag and uses anti freeze in the game and gives bonuses every day. We also provide games such as Gacor slots and others, please try it. with several games provided
    captogel

17. Charge cards consolidate a considerable lot of the comforts of both Visas and checks. Like checks, they can be utilized to take care of service bills and other customary installments. So it would be perfect to get the Netspend refer a friend program grants you to get a compensation for each mate or relative you propose Netspend prepaid charge card monetary concordance.

18. EOS77: [WORK] Ini Dia APK Cheat Akun Slot Gacor VIP Maxwin Terbaru
    Ini dia APK Cheat Akun Slot Gacor VIP Maxwin Terbaru di Situs EOS77. Dengan menggunakan APK Cheat Situs Slot Thailand Gacor ini, anda akan meraih keberuntungan tak berbatas dengan kemenangan maksimal yang paten. Gabung dan bukti kan sekarang juga di Situs EOS77.

19. EOS77:[CHEAT] Rahasia Pola Slot Gacor Hari Ini Anti LAG Server Luar Negeri
    EOS77 merupakan situs slot gacor server luar negeri terbaik , dan baru baru ini ada info bocoran rahasia pola slot gacor hari ini. Dengan bantuan slot dana gacor yang satu ini, EOS77 menyediakan fasilitas dengan minimal deposit sebesar 5 ribu rupiah. Tersedia berbagai metode deposit seperti ewallet, rekening bank dan juga deposit QRIS.
    Jam Gacor slot EOS77 juga sering berubah rubah, biasanya stabil di malam hari menjelang subuh, tapi tenang saja dengan batnuan pola slot gacor yang bagus, semua game bisa di mainkan dan memenangkan kemenangan maksimal dengan keberuntungan tak terbatas !!!

20. EOS77: Cara Buat Akun Slot Gacor Server Thailand Super Gacor
    eos77 merupakan situs slot yang paling gacor sedunia, rekomendasi slot gacor pragmatic top markotop. Berikut ini adalah cara buat akun slot gacor di situs eos77. Ayo segara buat akun mu di situs slot paling gacor sedunia eos77.

21. EOS77: Bocoran Jam Slot Gacor Hari Ini Server Hongkong Pasti Maxwin
    eos77 merupakan situs dengan jam slot gacor terbaik di pragmatic play. Dengan bocoran jam slot gacor anda dapat bermain tanpa menggunakan pola karena sudah terjamin gacor slot login eos77 sekarang juga dan gaskan !!!!

22. Your articles offer profound insights and immense value. I’m inclined to bookmark your blog and revisit it regularly for updates. I eagerly anticipate uncovering more valuable information here and extend my best wishes for your future posts!

Z908 Drone 8K