D2L: SHARING PRACTICES IN LEARNING AND TEACHING
- 9:00-9:30am: Snacks, networking and welcome.
- 9:30-10:00am: D2L Version 10 update. Dr. Plamen Miltenoff, LRS, Greg Jorgensen and Karin Duncan, ITS
– mostly it is visual changes. D2L is now using a lot of collapsing / scroll down bars to navigate. it is more compact
– changes and improvements in different tools: e.g. discussion, rubrics, grades (e.g. export straight to Excel), pager etc
– faculty cannot add tools to the default navbar, but can email email@example.com and request a tool to be added. Faculty CAN take off tool; don;t forget to save
– must post first in discussion
- 10:00-10:30am: Make D2L work for you: discussions and grades in D2L . Dr. David Switzer, Economics
– grades, how to streamline them. copying again and again in D2L can be too timeconsuming. exxporting to Excel, calculating and importing back is easier. Remeber to export a blank D2L grading item, so the template can be set. q/n: when final grades will be able to export straight from D2L to R&R
-use subscription on discussion
-show students in class that surveys are anonimous indeed
- 10:30-11:00am: Organization of D2L Content delivery and student learning. Dr. Lakshmaiah Sreerama, Chemistry
– who to turn for help and ideas: colleagues, tech support, tech insrtruct people, students
– how to organize lectures’ content and put it online, D2L in particular
– F2F, hybrid and online. how do we choose and discriminate?
- 11:00-11:30am: Lecture capture and making it available in D2L. Dr. Kannan Sivaprakasam, Chemistry
– online learning, disruptive technology. touched on MOOC, student-center edlearning
– Camtasia. free version of the C Studio 8.0 for Win and Mac. Shareware (30 days). for every min of recorded lecture, will take 5 to 10 min to record it, edit it and prepared it.
– Adobe Captivate. use it through the virtual lab. it is not that connvenient. $30 per year for the key server version
-Blue Berry is superior to Camtesia by allowing to draw
– Jing. Free
– Screencast. bandwidh restriction. means that too many students cannot view simultanously the lecture video. Flash-based and this is not compatible with Apple products.
– Mediaserver (media4.stcloudstate.edu) upload zipped folder (SCORM compliant). Need an account, request from Greg Jorgenson.
— Mike from the Adobe Connect participants shared ” I’ve used Screenhunter to captures images (jpg), which is a free software”
– multimedia formats: video, audio, images, animations
– differences between raster and vector graphics. Camtasia will accept only JPG, PNG formats, but not vectorgraphics
- 11:30-12:00pm: Open time for individual projects and problem solving.
- 1:00-1:30pm: Rubrics and Grading in D2L: opportunities and issues. Dr. Steven Covey, Dr. Ken Miller Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering
– Steve: rubrics and grading. D2L is not flexible and we need to adapt our assessment to the D2L capabilities.
– homework and papers, holistic and analytic.
– Amazon Kindle much better for grading online then iPAD.
– separate criteria did not work for Steve, but Ken has his rubrics in different criteria. KISS rule. Properly defines students’ expecations. Create a grid of the rubrics and then cut and paste into the D2L rubrics. Also go over with students over the rubrics details.
– Ken: have several levels in rubrics. New Rubric must be “published” and not a “draft” otherwise cannot be linked to grades.
- 1:30-2:00pm: Evaluation using D2L. Dr. William Cook, Biology.
– calibrated peer review.
another way of using rubrics. potential advantage of using this app is to do automated blind peer review. D2L cannot do it that well as this app. handy for large classes and short writing assignments. Contact Joe Melcher (firstname.lastname@example.org) for an account to be created.
crowd control versus really learning the content. The software gives a good feedback what students have actually done (student progress tab).
export callibrated results to D2L
- 2:00-3:00pm: Open time for individual projects and problem solving.
You can also join us via virtual synchronous connection through Adobe Connect at:
Limited space; please consider registering at: https://secure.mnsu.edu/mnscupd/login/default.asp?campusid=0073
We would like similar event during the Spring 2013 semester? Please share with us your preference for day/time, as well as topics of interest.
For any questions, recommendations, suggestions, please use the following contact: