|Discussion Forums are TOPIC centred.
- discussions are organised into topics by ‘threads’
- anyone in the community can start a thread on a topic of their choosing
- all participants have an equal voice
- posts require someone to reply for a discussion to take place
- you can follow through a thread on a particular topic
|Blogs are AUTHOR centred.
- posts are made by the blog’s author only (may be a group)
- posts are usually opinion pieces and written in the authors voice
- readers can add comments to the author’s post
- organised in reverse chronological order so the most recent posts show on the entry page
- reflect the authors identity in the tone, look and feel and content
|Wikis are CONTENT/DOCUMENT centred.
- wikis are for group authoring
- editable website with a complete version history kept
- aim is to reach a consensus or compromise on the content of the page
- the focus is the content produced, not the individual authors
- usually neutral and objective
- discussion/comment is separated from the wiki content