EDAD 646 tech instruction with Dr. Roger Worner
- EDAD 646 Strategic Planning Analysis Sheet
- EDAD 646 Systems Thinking Expanded
Based on the documents attached above, and the discussion and work already surrounding these documents, please consider the following flowchart:
study >>> systems theory >>> cybermetrics >>>
SWOT >>> strategic planning >>> task force >>> architect >>>
CM >>> public adviser >>> public polling >>> referendum
During the exercises surrounding the documents above, you have been introduced to various speakers / practitioners, who presented real-life cases regarding:
- transportation https://www.edulog.com/, http://www.tylertech.com/solutions-products/school-solutions/transportation, http://www.busboss.com/
- food service (http://www.foodservicedirector.com/research/big-picture/articles/impact-technology-foodservice)
- building grounds (http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED499142.pdf)
- HR (http://login.libproxy.stcloudstate.edu/login?qurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ebscohost.com%2flogin.aspx%3fdirect%3dtrue%26db%3dkeh%26AN%3d89941160%26site%3dehost-live%26scope%3dsite)
– the first goal of this technology instruction is to figure out the current state of technology in K12 settings.
* split in groups * using each group member’s information and experience about technology in general and technology in school settings, use the flow chart above and identify any known technology, which can improve the process of each step in the flow chart.
* reconvene and compare results among groups. Find similarities and discrepancies and agree on a pool of applicable technology tools and concepts, which can improve the process reflected in the flow chart.
Example how to meet the requirements for the first goal: 1. based on your technological proficiency, how can you aid your study using system thinking/systems approach? the work ahead of you is collaborative. What collaborative tools do you know, which can help the team work across time and space? Skype, Google Hangouts for audio/video/desktopsharing. Google Drive/Docs for working on policies and similar text-based documents.
Work on the following assignment:
Trends in technology cannot be taken separately from other issues and are closely intertwined with other “big” trends :
e.g., mobile workspaces (http://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims/2015/12/03/mobile-workspaces-on-campus/ ) are part of the larger picture, namely active learning spaces (http://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims/?s=learning+spaces&submit=Search), which involves, furniture, building construction, etc.
keeping in mind this interdependence / balance, please work in groups on the following questions. Using the available links above and the literature they lead to, as well as your own findings, please provide your best opinion to these questions:
- when planning for a new building and determining learning spaces, what is the percentage of importance, which we place on technology, in relation to furniture, for example?
- how much do teachers have a say in the planning of the building, considering that they had worked and prefer “their type” of learning space?
- who decides what technology and how? how one rationalizes the equation technology = learning spaces = available finances?
- how much outsourcing (consulting) on any of the components of the equation above one can afford / consider? How much weight the strategic planning puts on the consulting (outsourcing) versus the internal opinion (staff and administrators)?
- how “far in the future” your strategic plan is willing / able to look at, in terms of technology – learning spaces?
How to stay current with the technology developments:
expensive, time-consuming, but great for networking
e.g., Magna Publications <email@example.com>
Practical Learning Research for the Math Classroom
Training For Results: Is Your Training Effective? – Free Webinar http://bit.ly/Webinar-Training-for-Results
Conversations with the corporate IT world: http://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims/2015/12/07/4406/
- podcasts and social media
- digital humanities (http://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims/2015/03/27/digital-humanities/; and digital citizenship (http://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims/2015/10/19/digital-citizenship-info/) – why is it important and how it is important?
10 Major Technology Trends in Education : https://thejournal.com/Articles/2014/02/03/10-Major-Technology-Trends-in-Education.aspx
30 Trends In Education Technology For 2015 : http://www.teachthought.com/uncategorized/30-trends-education-technology-2015/
ISTE 2015: 6 Tech Trends on Education’s Horizon, 2015–2020The influence of 3D printing, adaptive learning technologies and wearable technologies in the classroom is growing.
9 Ed Tech Trends To Watch in 2015 , 01/22/15, https://campustechnology.com/Articles/2015/01/22/9-Ed-Tech-Trends-To-Watch-in-2015.aspx
5 Top Trends in Education Technology 2015Why the industry is primed for big things this year : http://www.inc.com/aaron-skonnard/5-top-trends-in-education-technology-2015.html
– the second goal of this technology instruction is to become acquainted with future technological trends and developments.
The New Horizon Report 2015 K12 Edition:
https://www.graphite.org/ – reviews and ratings for educational materials
- not that far future: http://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims/2015/12/03/light-based-wireless-technology/
- The Internet of Things:
how does wearables and the Internet of Things fit to the recent decision making process? e.g., http://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims/2015/12/03/mobile-workspaces-on-campus/
predictive analysis (big data): http://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims/2015/12/03/predictive-analysis/ more here
http://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims/?s=predictive+analysis&submit=Search and http://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims/tag/big-data/
What is BDaas, SaaS, PaaS, X-as-a-Service, IaaS versus SAN?
- your constituency : http://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims/2015/11/30/technology-and-us/
- Drones, augmented reality and similar gadgets
Are Schools Wasting Moneys on Computers?