Career Readiness Badging Program

Career Services

http://www.usf.edu/career-services/career-ready/

(per Mary Soroko)

++++++++++++++
more on badges in this IMS blog

1 Comment on Career Readiness Badging Program

1. Plamen Miltenoff
    October 18, 2017 at 4:35 pm (6 years ago)

per Andy Ditlevson,
    I pasted the discussion into the “Leave a Reply” section of your Blog entry. Also included it below.

Robin Johengen
    Robin Johengen
    Career Development professional for undecided students

Badges for Career Readiness
    My institution is looking into implementing badges for students completing internships and research experiences. In my research, I found examples of programs that were just beginning the implementation phases but nothing of how it has been working longer term. Is anyone out there still using a badging system? Are you able to answer some questions about how this works on your campus, how you implemented it, costs involved, etc? Thanks in advance for your help!
    · 6d
    Troy Markowitz
    Troy Markowitz Portfolium bridging the gap between employers and the badges so recruiters can match badges against job criteria and skills needed. Portfolium has a partnership with Badgr and the LMS so that students can demonstrate skills through badges and coursework in a portable way.

· · 2d
    · Ashley Rippey
    Ashley Rippey We here at Smeal were very close to implementing a badging system for soft skills and co-curricular experiences. We mapped out levels, verification procedures, etc. We stopped once we pitched the system to our Corporate Partners who said they would not look at badges as part of the recruitment process (simply not enough time). Since that point (April ’15), we’ve tabled it.

· · 1d
    · Jennifer Fonseca
    Jennifer Fonseca Yes, please to Peter Thorsett.

· 1d
    · Janna Mori
    Janna Mori Here are some resources from the CA Community College system. Santa Barbara City College has recently implemented badges. You can see the list of schools who are participating and could inquire of them directly. I’d be interested to know if you find anything out related to internships and research.

https://sccrcolleges.org/sbcc-catalog

https://foundationccc.org/What-We-Do/Workforce-Development/Workforce-Services/21st-Century-Skills-Badging

· · 1d
    · Kacey Darnell
    Kacey Darnell Following

· 21h
    · Doug Cullen
    Doug Cullen Peter!!! You are my new best friend. Can I reach out to you this week directly for some light Q&A?

· 21h
    · Heather Hanami
    Heather Hanami Terri Howe, PhD, LPC-S

· 21h
    · Stephanie Rosse
    Stephanie Rosse Following

· 13h
    · Jason Finley M.Ed.
    Jason Finley M.Ed. SkillSkack Idaho looks promising. I’d love to learn what you discover is happening in this area.

· 7h
    · Eric Benavidez
    Eric Benavidez Ashley Rippey Great insight! I love that you pitched it to your corporate partners!

We thought of badges when I was in Career Services. The only reason I can think of using badges would be to track students who don’t get academic credit for their internship experience. That way we have an incentive for students to register themselves in a system and gather data from them. Once data is gathered, you can use it to pitch “Intern for Academic Credit” to faculty/departments. We DID use “0” credit courses, which are free, to track students in internships/co-ops and to identify them so we could award them “Internship/Co-Op Honors” chords for graduation.

Otherwise, as a recruiter, I wouldn’t see value of a badge on a resume, since their internship experience would be there and their accomplishments/experience would come out during an interview.

I guess the main question is, what do you want to accomplish with a Badge System?

From: Miltenoff, Plamen
    Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 11:20 AM
    To: Ditlevson, Andrew P. ; Soroko, Mary P. ; Hergert, Thomas R. ; Schmitz, Michelle A.
    Subject: Re: Badges for Career Readiness

Thanks Andy
    I am NOT in the LinkedIn group, which prevents me from reading the discussion.
    Would it be possible for you to very roughly:
    Select (the discussion)
    Copy
    And
    Paste in the comments section to this blog entry:
    http://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims/2017/10/17/career-readiness-badging-program/
    I find your information related to Mary’s information on the U of South FL.

From: National Association of Colleges and Employers [mailto:groups-noreply@linkedin.com]
    Sent: Sunday, October 15, 2017 11:54 AM
    To: Ditlevson, Andrew P.
    Subject: Badges for Career Readiness

mage removed by sender. LinkedIn

Groups

mage removed by sender. National Association of Colleges and Employers

Popular discussions in:
    National Association of Colleges and Employers

View all discussions

Badges for Career Readiness

mage removed by sender. Robin Johengen

Robin Johengen

My institution is looking into implementing badges for students completing internships and…

mage removed by sender. Peter Thorsett

We built our entire program using Canvas, which is our campus’…
    Peter Thorsett, Marketing | Communications | Technology

mage removed by sender. Troy Markowitz

Portfolium bridging the gap between employers and the badges so…
    Troy Markowitz, Learning ➡️ Skills ➡️ Opportunity

+3 other new comments

5 new comments mage removed by sender.

View Discussion

This email was intended for Andy Ditlevson (Connecting great candidates with top employers through innovative college recruiting programs and events!). Learn why we included this.
    If you need assistance or have questions, please contact LinkedIn Customer Service.

Reply