Free Webinar: Driving Decisions With Data
with Analytics On Demand, you can add value to your library’s existing data and unlock key insights about your community.
Monday, July 24, 2017 12 p.m. Central
Tune in to this free 60-minute webcast Joining us for this webinar are:
- Jason Kucsma, deputy director, Toledo Lucas County (Ohio) Public Library
- Liz Bondie, education sales consultant, Gale, a Cengage company
more on data analytics in this IMS blog
Call For Chapters: Responsible Analytics and Data Mining in Education: Global Perspectives on Quality, Support, and Decision-Making
SUBMIT A 1-2 PAGE CHAPTER PROPOSAL
Deadline – June 1, 2017
Title: Responsible Analytics and Data Mining in Education: Global Perspectives on Quality, Support, and Decision-Making
Due to rapid advancements in our ability to collect, process, and analyze massive amounts of data, it is now possible for educators at all levels to gain new insights into how people learn. According to Bainbridge, et. al. (2015), using simple learning analytics models, educators now have the tools to identify, with up to 80% accuracy, which students are at the greatest risk of failure before classes even begin. As we consider the enormous potential of data analytics and data mining in education, we must also recognize a myriad of emerging issues and potential consequences—intentional and unintentional—to implement them responsibly. For example:
· Who collects and controls the data?
· Is it accessible to all stakeholders?
· How are the data being used, and is there a possibility for abuse?
· How do we assess data quality?
· Who determines which data to trust and use?
· What happens when the data analysis yields flawed results?
· How do we ensure due process when data-driven errors are uncovered?
· What policies are in place to address errors?
· Is there a plan for handling data breaches?
This book, published by Routledge Taylor & Francis Group, will provide insights and support for policy makers, administrators, faculty, and IT personnel on issues pertaining the responsible use data analytics and data mining in education.
· June 1, 2017 – Chapter proposal submission deadline
· July 15, 2017 – Proposal decision notification
· October 15, 2017 – Full chapter submission deadline
· December 1, 2017 – Full chapter decision notification
· January 15, 2018 – Full chapter revisions due
more on data mining in this IMS blog
more on analytics in this IMS blog
Top Tech Trends – 2013 Annual
- DIY Library eBook Platforms
- Digital Rights Management
- Discovery and rights determination
- MOOCs, flipped classrooms, and gamification fatigue
- Linked data
- Data collection and data mining