Roberts, C. (2010). The Dissertation Journey. A Practical and Comprehensive Guide to Planing, Writing, and Defending Your Dissertation. Corwin, Thousand Oaks, CA.
Purpose and scope
We talked about “themes” and the need to be careful with breaking them into “subthemes”: if you do a historical overview, avoid chunking it into “dates” and rather keep the thematic relation. Make sure that the relate to your topic; that’s why it is good to keep your title (even if preliminary), outline (even if in progress), thesis (even if under work) etc. on the first page of your Chapter 2 manuscript / draft.
Formulate your research question / thesis
How do you present the idea of your research and intertwine it with data in a cohesive, interesting way? Join us in a short session to learn effective communication through infographics using data visualization and design.
Location: Miller Center 205
Wednesday, February 18 2-2:45pm
Thursday, March 19 11-11:45am
Tuesday, April 14, 10-10:45am
Thursday, April 30, 10-10:45am
Register or see more information here:
Social Media can be excellent tool for research:
How BYOD Programs Can Fuel Inquiry Learning. Backchanneling.
creating a learner profile, a set of criteria the school district wanted students to learn while in school. That profile includes: seek knowledge and understanding; think critically and solve problems; listen, communicate, and interact effectively; exhibit strong personal qualities; and engage and compete in a global environment. The profile helps guide all approaches to learning in the district.
Kids already know how to use their devices, but they don’t know how to learn with their devices,” Clark said in an edWeb webinar. It’s the teacher’s role to help them discover how to connect to content, one another and learning with a device that they may have only used for texting and Facebook previously. “It’s about the kids being empowered in the classroom to make decisions about the ways that they are learning,”
Four Smart Ways to Use Cell Phones in Class
IN-CLASS BACK-CHANNELING: Backchanneling refers to the use of networks & social media to maintain an online, real-time conversation alongside spoken remarks.
IN-CLASS READINGS AND HANDOUTS. Smartphones can also be used productively in the classroom as eReaders for books and handouts. You can place all student handouts into DropBox folders (see “Dropbox A Multi-Tool for Educators”).
Using Google Docs for backchanneling with students:
10 ways to employ backchanneling in classroom instruction.
- Poll students on a particular classroom event or on a decision regarding their learning
- Crowdsource feedback on learning activities and use this input to inform your future instructional strategies.
- Backchanneling empowers students voice and make them feel they are real participants in the knowledge building taking place in the class.
- Conduct informat assessments .
- Assess students prior knowledge about a given topic.
- Brainstorm ideas for a writing project.
- Encourage students to ask questions about anything they did not understand.
- Hold synchronous discussions of video content shared in class
- Organize real time discussions in class.
- Backchanneling is a good way to engage introverts and shy students in classroom conversations.