How to Design a Classroom Built on Inquiry, Openness and Trust
Many teachers have likely engaged in some type of inquiry or project-based learning, but with frustrating or dismal results.
Two of the best resources I’ve found for creating an inquiry classroom are Carol Kuhlthau’s work and Alberta Learning’s Guide to Inquiry Learning.
How to Trust Your Students (from Edutopia)
- Give it away: Trust must be given in order for trust to develop.
- Slowly and deliberately get to know your student
- Share power: Seek student input about what is to be learned and how.
- Explain to students how they can earn your trust
- Avoid protective hesitancy: Engage students who don’t look, sound and act like you.
- Try not to punish
- Adjust the learning environment