Reading Reflection #1: Critical Thinking

Manner of Asking the Right Questions,” think about and respond to the following questions:

1. What are some characteristics or values of a person who is a critical thinker? Which, if any, of these themes did we suggest for our Classroom Agreement on Tuesday?
    • Characteristics of people who are critical thinkers are those who have self-confidence and open-mindedness. Critical thinkers are also flexible to other opinions while being curious. On Tuesday, we talked about being open to listen to others and to new suggestions while feeling safe and confident about sharing our own opinions in front of our peers.
  2. How do strong sense and weak sense critical thinking differ? Why is strong sense critical thinking usually so much more difficult than weak sense critical thinking?
    • According to the reading Asking the Right Questions, weak sense critical thinking is resisting opinions and thoughts that are different from your own. Those who are weak sense often disagree with others and apply their critical thinking skills only when talking to their “opponents”. Contrary to weak, strong sense is applying critical thinking whenever possible. Strong sense critical thinkers take any and all opportunities to apply their critical thinking skills to not only others but also their own beliefs and opinions. Strong sense critical thinking is often more difficult because it helps individuals to assess facts, evaluate arguments, and understand others in a deeper sense. Critical thinking helps create more open mindedness and help increase understanding.
  3. When we talk about an “argument” in this class, what do we mean? How is the book’s definition different from an argument we might have with our parents or friends?
    • An argument in Hons 250 is the reasoning behind what we think and believe and why. Asking the Right Questions defines argument as, “a combination of two forms of statements: a conclusion and the reason supporting it.” An argument with parents or friends is often the exchange of opposite viewpoints, but argument as defined in the reading is the partnership of conclusions that we have and how or why we have those reasons.
  4. Why, do you think, is it so difficult to find the “right answer” to many questions about human behavior and society?
    • I believe that it is difficult to find the “right answer” because there is no right answer. People have different values and beliefs that help form individuals into believing what creates the right or correct way human behavior should be and how a society should be or act.

Based on your reading of “Why Questioning?,” think about and respond to the following questions:

1. How does this chapter relate to your experiences? What role has asking questions had in your life?
    • I agree with many points from the reading. I do believe that questioning is linked to innovation and that many individuals, including myself, are on autopilot when asking questions. Personally, I don’t ask as many questions as I should, and I believe that it can and does hinder mt learning. When reading, I noticed that I agreed with more than I thought I would. I often find myself wanting to ask questions but think what will others think of me? Does this make me look like I don’t know what I am doing? When at work or in the classroom the fear of being judged or viewed as lower than I am scares me, but in reality, I should be using the time to ask questions to help benefit more from class, work and personal life. When I do speak up and ask questions, I find that I understand things more and spend less time on simple tasks because I know fully what is expected and what must be done.
  2. Why do you think children stop asking questions? Why do some people (like Bezos or Jobs) keep questioning?
    • I think many children stop asking questions because adults don’t acknowledge them and answer the questions like we should. Many people get annoyed when instead we should be answering and encouraging children to ask questions. Others continue to ask questions because they are continuously curious. I also believe that individuals with higher intelligence tend to ask more questions. I do not know why, but when in class it seems that individuals who are smarter or who want to increase their learning as much as possible will always ask questions.
  3. As a college student, what role does asking questions have in your education? What role does questioning have in your future profession and work environment?
    • As a current college student, asking questions helps to understand the information deeper. When we ask questions, we are wanting to know more and want to better understand the concepts and teachings. I also ask questions when I don’t understand something or want to know more. When I am curious about something I tend to want to know more for my own enjoyment. In my work environment, questioning is very important. Asking questions can help myself and other employees do what we are supposed to and in the right way. I believe that questioning yourself and others is what helps people gain the most knowledge and understand when in any situation.