Jekyll and Hyde Review (Ella Chapman)

Upon entering the line and having our tickets ripped and ready to go, there were these people above us. They were calling us “beautiful darlings” and drawling, “Oh, who must YOU be lookin’ like that?” Really, all very clever; most certainly an ample way to hype up an audience before a performance. They were dressed up in leather pants, black tops, and white shirts that most decisively deserved more than one glance. While the performance didn’t start for us until 15:00, their performing began as soon as they came in contact with us. This performance had a very extended pre-life articulation that sent the audience in with a smile on their face and a slight fear of sitting in one of the front rows. I mean, who knows what could happen in a show where the actors actually talk to you beforehand?

I have to admit, I was also a little nervous about not knowing the finer details of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as classic literature, or really any detail at all. Have no fear, you will leave with as big of a smile on your face as the person who wrote about it in their college thesis. If you’re familiar with some new age hip-hop music, more power to you!

As we seated ourselves, the audience was greeted with even more participation from the actors and actresses. They really took an interest to us. Dr. Tuder is absolutely beautiful, which Ginger (one of the actresses) exclaimed; and no, Ginger, I was not birthed by Dr. Tuder personally, thank you for asking. As they left our area and I had a quiet moment I whispered over to Jen that I was not dressed up enough for this performance, nor was I even wearing the correct bra for such scandal measures! She told me to have no fear because they accept me for what I am here in this moment. And accept us they did! From start to finish there weren’t more than a couple minutes where the audience wasn’t a direct part in the show. There were swearing and profanity, but nothing that your little sibling or grandparents couldn’t handle. To me, swearing always adds such a unique dynamic to the show. It means that there is this relationship between the audience and performer that is more relaxed and amusing. Loud laughing is encouraged; and no, the Karen that is sitting in front of you won’t turn back and glare.

I was truly impressed by the give and take between performers. They were feeding off of each other. These lines weren’t memorized, they were the equivalent of practiced conversation. There weren’t waiting for one person to say a line so that the next could say the following. They performed like it was the first time. In Performance Studies, there is a term for this: raw and canned. Their performance was very raw, making it lively and entertaining. If it was canned, I am sure the practiced sexual innuendos would have left some uncomfortable.

From seat to stage, this was an all-around exuberating performance. The flattery alone is enough reason for me to want to see it again!