2 Clowns 1 Cup- Ella Chapman

Whatever you do, do NOT push the button. Naturally, what do two curious clowns do? They push the button. Repeatedly. This button pushing was the start to what seemed like an absolutely ludicrous show that turned into the sex education class that everybody missed out on. 

As I was mentally preparing myself for a good laugh coming in, I forgot to prepare myself for the important lessons that I would potentially take away. Seeing a clown show just made me think that it was going to be goofy and humorous. Nevertheless, these girls set the scene for something sexy very quickly with the hip-hop music and dance moves. They tackled the most important sex education/sexual health topics that no one gave you in your health education class in school. All while dancing, grinding and using blow-up condoms. 

This show resonated with me because there was an actual storyline with it. The clowns were 13 years old just turning 14 and it was time for their first sex education lesson in school. Overhead, there was a voice playing that was meant to be a school teacher. In the audio, just about every word that had to deal with the male/female genitalia was bleeped out. I think the performance purposely meant to send this as a message or as a metaphor for what it is like being in school and having a teacher try to teach sex ed to you, even though they’re not really addressing the grit of the topic. Moreover, they used real stories from girls describing their first time having sex, embarrassing school stories, etc. In turn, the clowns would dance/perform the next topic that the girls touched on. 

What really surprised me was that they played on each of the puberty stages that a woman experiences and sexualized them. I’m talking physical uteruses, tampons, and silly string that quite frankly, wasn’t used like silly string. Humor set aside from this, the performers also touched on a major political topic: tampons being taxed. Some governments do not consider it a necessity (even though it falls under basic female hygiene needs) and therefore puts an added tax on it. I was not expecting to see a topic like that brought up in a clown comedy performance, but I am glad it was. 

The intent to involve the crowd occurs in this performance as well. Personally, shows that involve the crowd always keep me on my toes just a little bit more than the ones that do not. There was an entire impromptu scene involving one of the men from the crowd, who was actually acting as their mother trying to give them an idea of what sex is like. That alone should spark your interest! Quite brilliant, actually. 

“2 Clowns 1 Cup” left me in thought, a fit of giggles, and a smile on my face. The amount of creativity, cleverness, dirty humor and hilarious vulgarity in this performance is enough alone to make me want to come back and bring all my friends with me. And remember, whatever you do, always push the button.