My Love Lies Frozen in the Ice- Ella Chapman

Word of mouth is such a powerful tool at the Fringe. Post-performances usually include the casts recommending shows to the audience to see later, or asking the audience to spread the word if they enjoyed it. All of which is helpful when faced with the decision of what to see at the Fringe (over 4,000 results can be a little unnerving). When I heard the high praises of this performance from my peers here, I had to see what all the fuss was about. As I was mentally preparing myself to walk in, I was greeted from the stage by the actors and was graciously thanked for coming to their show. A very nice touch, if you ask me. I always appreciate seeing the characters out of character to create a more personal feel. If I like them as a person and as an actor/actress, then I know I have seen a remarkable show.

The show was not a sold-out one by any means, which I think always makes the performers slightly lackadaisical. I really felt these vibes at the beginning but as the actors got into the groove, it really kicked off into the performance everyone was raving about. The audience participation found its niche right there. Whenever I see a show with great results in audience participation, I know that the actors are skilled in their abilities. There was the perfect blend of humor and sensitivity. My heartstrings were being tugged, but with a smile on my face. As a woman watching another woman on stage not being able to do something she has the full capability to do because of her gender was angering to watch. However, without this detail, the show would not have a driving force. Three men go on a journey of exploration to the Arctic in a balloon that flies free. A woman, the love interest of one of the three men, is forced to stay behind because “society would not be okay with a woman partaking in such an expedition”. Forced to stay behind and going mad, she tries to find solace and hopes that they reached their destination. 

My Love Lies Frozen in the Ice was one of my favorite performances at the Fringe. The actors really fell into their roles and it did not feel over-rehearsed. I was impressed with the writing; there seemed to be room to move within the script. Not all the lines were set and memorized. It was funny at times, and then dramatically beautiful. There was a raw truth to their performance. True love and true madness; where one falls from the other. From a more detailed perspective, it touched on 19th-century medical science and what that means for the contemporary world, national pride, and what becomes of a good adventure. 

I would see this performance again if not for the sheer talent that is incredibly evident. Witnessing the raw emotion and the tears that came to their eyes at certain points convinced me that what the audience experienced and what the performers left was a gift.