Core Principles of MLE
The purpose of media literacy education is to help individuals of all ages develop the habits of inquiry and skills of expression that they need to be critical thinkers, effective communicators and active citizens in today’s world.
1. Media Literacy Education requires active inquiry and critical thinking about the messages
we receive and create.
2. Media Literacy Education expands the concept of literacy (i.e., reading and writing) to
include all forms of media.
3. Media Literacy Education builds and reinforces skills for learners of all ages. Like print
literacy, those skills necessitate integrated, interactive, and repeated practice.
4. Media Literacy Education develops informed, reflective and engaged participants essential
for a democratic society.
5. Media Literacy Education recognizes that media are a part of culture and function as
agents of socialization.
6. Media Literacy Education affirms that people use their individual skills,
The Basic Definition
Within North America, media literacy is seen to consist of a series of communication competencies, including the ability to ACCESS, ANALYZE,EVALUATE, and COMMUNICATE information in a variety of forms, including print and non-print messages.
Media literacy empowers people to be both critical thinkers and creative producers of an increasingly wide range of messages using image, language, and sound. It is the skillful application of literacy skills to media and technology messages.