ELI Online Event | eXtended Reality (XR): How AR, VR, and MR Are Extending Learning Opportunities
May 22 and 24, 2018 | 12:00 noon – 3:35 p.m. ET
Over the past year, interest in eXtended reality (XR) technologies (such as virtual, augmented, immersive, and mixed reality) has surged. New and more affordable XR technologies, along with voice activation and sophisticated visual display walls, provide promising directions and opportunities to immerse learners in the curriculum, offering deeper and more vivid learning experiences and extending the learning environment. But what’s the curricular reality with respect to these technologies? What is hype and what is substance? Specifically:
- What practical applications do “XR technologies” have for teaching, learning, and research?
- How are these technologies being applied to engage learners as consumers and creators of XR experiences?
- What evidence is there to support XR technologies as effective tools in the learning environment?
- How can these technologies be integrated into learning spaces?
- What are the ethical questions we should consider as we explore XR?