the ability of anyone, with internet access, to communicate instantaneously to a global network
n the world of Instagram and Pinterest, brands are equal opportunity participants with consumers. Brands create stories that entice and capture consumers’ attention to leverage their influence. Users interact with the brand by commenting, liking, or ignoring. In an instant, you know if you have a hit or a dud. When something is a hit, it is popular, but more importantly, it becomes influential. The relationship between brands and consumers has become peer based.
Both platforms are B2C driven, but does Instagram win as the more effective of the two?
Instagram can be shared vertically across Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and other platforms. Pinterest is about curating and discovering information. Instagram gives you the opportunity to reveal a personal side to your brand and to interact with your audience.
Instagram creates narratives and that may be the characteristic that trumps Pinterest. Instagram defines and shapes brands while Pinterest sells brands.
30 Little-Known Features of the Social Media Sites You Use Every Day
5 Little-Known Facebook Features
1. Save links to read for later
2. Follow rather than friend
3. Manage Your “Posts to Page”
4. Reorder your page sections
5. Fast advanced stats for any page post
Assorted useful features
Receive email from your Facebook email address.
Download everything you’ve ever done on Facebook.
Check your “other” messages.
Pin a post to the top of your page.
Feature your page owners and liked pages.
Secret emoji. Here are fun tips for Facebook secret emoji.
- (y) = thumbs-up ‘like’ symbol
- (^^^) = a great white shark
- :|] = a robot
- :poop: = well, you know
- <(“) = a penguin
- :Putnam: = the head of former Facebook engineer, Chris Putnam who left the company in 2010
5 Little-Known Twitter Features
1. Create a collection of tweets
2. Tag people in your photos
3. Create a Twitter photo collage
4. Manage Twitter via SMS
- D [username] + message – sends that person a Direct Message that goes to their device, and saves in their web archive.
- SET LOCATION [place name] – updates the location field in your profile. Example: set location San Francisco
- GET [username] – retrieves the latest Twitter update posted by that person. You can also use g [username] to get a user’s latest Tweet. Examples: get goldman or g goldman.
- FOLLOW [username]: allows you to start following a specific user, as well as receive SMS notifications. Example:FOLLOW jerry
5. Mute Feature
5 Little-Known Google+ Features
1. Run a poll in G+
2. Save posts to empty circles for future reference
3. Share your circles with others
4. Create a photo slideshow that links to your avatar
When someone clicks on your profile picture from your profile page, they’ll see an entire photo album of pictures. You can control what appears in this photo album.
In the Photos menu, scroll or search for the Profile Photos collection. Then add, edit, and arrange the photos in this set.
5. Use a GIF as your profile pic or cover photo
This one’s super simple: Just upload it!
5 Little-Known LinkedIn Features
1. Download a list of your connections
2. Display media files on your profile
3. Message someone you’re not connected with
4. Save a job search
5. Create a tickler file with LinkedIn Relationship notes
5 Little-Known Pinterest Features
1. Set up a secret board
2. Rearrange the order of your boards
3. View all the latest pins from your website (or others)
4. Customize your cover images
5. Pin with a friend
5 Little-Known Instagram Features
1. Where to view Instagram photos online
2. Save an image
3. Add a border to your image
4. How to make a collage
5. How to repost an Instagram photo
Which of these little-known features did you know already?
Which of your favorite hidden gems would you like to share?
How To Use Instagram In Your Classroom
Instagram is a hugely popular social network for photo sharing.
- Student Work Showcase
- Student of the Week
- Class Memories
- Historical Figures
- Literary Characters
- Reading Recommendations
- Scavenger Hunt
- Writing Ideas
- Document Progress
How to Master Instagram in 8 Simple Steps
1. Create your story
2. Create your content
3. Put yourself out there.
4. Break down your platform barriers
5. Nurture a clear following
6. Engage with your followers
7. Reward your followers with coupons, contests, or previews of upcoming events
8. Watch it grow
How to Choose the Right Social Network for Your Business
Important questions to ask when choosing a social network:
- Does it make sense for my content? (See the seven types of networks listed above.)
- Do potential fans spend time there? (See the demographic information above.)
- Does it make sense for me?
Increase Instagram Visibility
#1: Highlight User-Generated Content
#2: Keep Your Online Personality Intact
#3: Use Hashtags for Listening and Reach
#4: Show Off Your Talents
#5: Combine Your Social Channels
In addtion to this blog (https://blog.stcloudstate.edu/ims)
and Twitter: @scsutechinstruc
please follow us and let us follow you regrading relevant information in the world of educational technology:
5 Creative Ways to Drive More Traffic to Your Blog Posts
Promote Your Article Across a “Wider” Variety of Platforms
Here are some examples of smaller networks:
- Quora.com—A question/answer-based website founded by two former Facebook employees. What makes Quora unique is that all content is created, edited and organized by its user community. The user base tends to be more business- and academic-oriented.
- Tumblr—A microblogging site that recently made headlines when Yahoo! acquired it. Its user base tends to be younger and more “hip,” making it the perfect platform to share edgier, niche-based content.
- Empire Avenue—Part social network, part social media marketing tool, Empire Avenue uses gamification to enable users to broadcast content across all of the other social networks. The primary members of EAv are small businesses, social media professionals and blogger
Grab Viewer Interest With Different Types of Media
promote your posts with images, audio and video.
#1: Use Dubbler to Give a Short Audio Introduction
#2: Create a 6-Second Preview of Your Post with Vine
#3: Create a SlideShare Overview of Your Post
#4: Pin Your Post to a Pinterest Group Board
#5: Instagram an Image From Your Post