Reading Reflection #2: Implicit Bias and Race

Trouble in Mind: To Be Black Is Blue in America

1. I was still shocked that people are still racist saying the “N” word to him and how he was treated differently because hes not white like them. I was very mad that I could’e done something there but it happened way before I came here at all. I had an experience where someone said that I ate dog and cat which that isn’t true at all. This story and my personal experience are related because we get treated differently by people and they think its okay to treat us differently because we’re different in race and skin color.
  2.  James Baldwin as saying, “To be black and conscious in America is to be in a constant state of rage.” IBé adds, “Even if you are not raging mad, you may be losing your mind. In other words, trouble in mind.” What I think this means is that you have to act like this to be what you are in America, if you don’t act like this then you are not what you are in America.

Microaggressions in the Classroom

1. My friend made a joke about “if a Asian person plays a Mellophone, are they mello yellow?” I am Asian and I play the Mellophone (A marching band instrument). I was confused for a second then, I got what he meant by mello yellow because Asian people are referred to yellow people. My friend was making jokes an that joke slip out of their mouth. I told people about the joke and they were shocked about that joke because, the joke was racist. I thought it was funny and it didn’t hurt me at all because i’m a delicious drink.
  2. It is very important to feel a sense of belonging within the classroom and in the university because it can help them succeed and not doubt their abilities in learning in the classroom and engaging in the university.

Do Conversations About Race Belong in the Classroom?

1. I went to Park Center senior high school in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. My school is mostly diverse maybe the most diverse in Minnesota. I don’t consider that i’m white because i’m Asian. I’m Chinese and Vietnamese and that’s it. I don’t think it gives you privileges thinking or talking about being white because you are just thinking or talking about it and that doesn’t have any effect on you at all. you don’t get anything special. I don’t want to think about being white because i’m yellow (that’s what people said about Asians). Whiteness has been visible to me when I first came to St. Cloud from Park Center which that school was very diverse and now I see less diverse in St. Cloud and this school nickname is White Cloud.
  2. Conversations about race should happen in school because everyone needs to know that there’s different people also in the world and not just your kind so they don’t treat people differently and they need to learn the history so they understand why people are still racist in modern days . It has to be in a appropriate level for different ages in school.