Welcome our New CIO – Henry May

It feels like IT at SCSU has been planning and reorganizing for years. We’ve spent time on a SCSU Technology Plan, then we implemented the interim ITS realignment as a part of the lengthy ASAOPSA process, which was followed by an expanded process led by Kaludis Consulting on beginning the search for a new CIO. And finally we’ll have our new CIO tomorrow! What this will mean for Information Technology Services in the short run is unclear. But, in the long-term I think that SCSU can better communication and collaboration between ITS and the broader SCSU/MNSCU community. As a department we’ve tried hard to reach out, but it’s been difficult with our resources stretched thin. I hope that SCSU’s addition of an experienced CIO in with a fresh perspective and new ideas is as exciting for the campus as is it is for us in the technology trenches.

During the interview process I notes several items that I thought made Henry May a great fit for SCSU. Here are a few of my takeaways.

1. There was a commitment to training and the value of having a technical staff that keeps abreast of the latest advances in information technology.
  2. A strong commitment to assuring that new initiatives and projects brought true business value to the university.
  3. Henry has worked for Gartner and continues to find value in Gartner’s industry analysis offerings.
  4. In order to help leaders understand the value and constraints of new devices, Henry purchased iPads and gave them to his senior leadership to explore.
  5. A commitment to establishing governance processes to facilitate knowledge transfer, decision making, and communication.
  6. A belief in empowering employees.
  7. A record of mentorship to his staff.
  8. An understanding that a CIO needs to go out and build relationships.

2013 should be an exciting year for ITS, and hopefully for SCSU and MNSCU as well. I am excited to welcome Henry as our new CIO and I look forward to building an even better service for our students.

One thought on “Welcome our New CIO – Henry May