Jekyll and Hyde Performance Review — Written By Cassie Cormican

Darkness is within us all. Our worries and fears may create a version of ourselves, that show the most horrid and ugly moments of an individual. However, our personal darkness differs from every other person. In the production Jekyll and Hyde, the actors and actresses create an interactive environment by inviting their audience to acknowledge the fact that we “push down” our own personal darkness. This reoccurring theme is then brought into the story telling of Jekyll and Hyde, however adding major comical twists.  

I must applaud the performers pre-show audience interaction techniques. By walking up and conversing with the audience members, I felt very welcomed and eager to see more. This was also a clever engagement technique where this allowed the performers to gather intake on audience members they were going to later include in the performance. As the production began, the performers truly utilized as much space as they possible could given the size of the room; roaming up and down the aisles, back to exit doors, turning around and ending up on the opposite side of the room, my eyes were constantly traveling. 

While my head was frequently turning with performance all around, I felt like a kid in a candy store, never once losing the smile on my face. However, unlike a kid, the comedy and language may only be suitable for adults. By bringing in crude remarks and creative satire, this truly accentuated the overall performance. Reoccurring witticisms happened to also allow the audience to really engage with the performers as well. For example, when Philip would go on his long, avid rants about his past relationship (with audience member Haley), the other performers would rehearse the phrase, “Excuse him he is very passionate. He is very French.” While this was occurring, I would hear audience members chant the phrase repeatedlyas well.  

At one point in the show, it goes dark. Music is blasted through the speakers as a dim purple light highlights the performers faces onstage. To my surprise, a soundtrack was not what I was hearing, but the performers singing and rapping modern day songs. Again, I was overly impressed with the variety of talent these performers had to offer.  

Luckily, I had been sitting next to two women who had been called on and utilized in the performance as audience interactors. One of them unknowingly got to play a major role in the performance by offering up her phone when an actress wanted to film a video of her co-performer. Not only did this add to the overall story, but the woman now has a personal video experience that she can share with friends and family. Cleaver advertising techniques if you ask me.  

Overall, I would highly recommend attending this performance. Swearing and sexualized language is evident throughout, where some viewers may want to be mindful of this before attending. If you are a person who cannot get enough of interactive performances and are willing to risk having a sore belly from all the laughs, this performance is a must see! You have never experienced the story of Jekyll and Hydelike this ever before.