Everything I See I Swallow

Written By: Cassie Cormican

Beauty does not look the same in every eye. Beauty is defined by each individual so intricately different, where a precise definition simply will never be put into words. In the performance Everything I see I Swallow, two female aerial artists create an intimate story about their mother daughter relationship, and their disagreement about how a true feminist should express herself.

In the opening act, the younger performer feels like she is out of her body with little control over it. She questions if the only thing that can make her beautiful is if other people think so based on her appearance. After having sex for the first time, the aerialist becomes even more conflicted. I could feel the rush of her emotions while she stressed about whether what she had just done was good or bad, right or wrong. Aerial performance requires the woman to have absolute control of their bodies, even though most times, woman feel as if they do not.

I was stunned, not only by their magnificent talent, but by the passion I saw lit in the performers eyes. As a metaphor for feeling tied up and not in control of oneself, the choice of using rope for their aerial skills was extremely clever. The two performers began to argue about how a real feministic woman should express herself, creating the strenuous relationship between past and current feminists.

At moments, I found myself lost in their dialogue. But nonetheless, the strength of the two woman performers prevails. Another metaphor that can also be acknowledged would be that empowerment can be the chain that binds us together. Although the beginning controversy between mother-daughter feminist puts their expressive artwork into question, the triumph of acceptance for the other become profound.

The message of being able to be proud and own one’s body, was absolutely phenomenal. Quotes from well-known female feminists appeared on the backdrop behind the woman, as they rehearsed their famous words. Pairing with (what looked to be both effortless yet exhausting) aerial artwork, I could truly feel those words come to life.

Just like beauty, feminism will never be clearly defined. It is an act that constantly undergoes generational changes. From a woman’s perspective, the mental battles which then are shown physically using the ropes, create a fabulous dynamic of constant combat and togetherness. Overall, the intergenerational feminist performers had me in awe.