EducationDive newsletter provided a summary about a study on CBE:
- A new study from the American Institutes for Research outlines the profile of students in competency-based education programs and how they are engaged to participate in the curriculum. But researchers say it is too early to determine the efficacy of such programs on postgraduate success.
- The study reveals that 68% of CBE programs are comprised of adult learners, with more than 70% of participants having previous college experience. Retention rates in the programs range from 63-80%, while completion rates range between 15-80%, depending on the type of program.
- With challenges in schedule flexibility and technology to track student performance, CBE still presents as a valuable learning environment, but there is not enough data to suggest that graduates fare better in professional placement or earnings as a result.
However, if you are interested in learning more about CBE and its future, sign up for the five free lessons from the D2L Brighstspace team here.
- What is Competency-based Education (CBE)?
- Who is CBE for?
- How does CBE work?
- Where has CBE succeeded?
- When will I be ready for CBE?