I was an Akita Activity Mentor

By: Rachid Ouedraogo

The Intensive English Center of St Cloud State University has a strong relationship with Akita Prefecture, Japan, for decades. Our partnership with the Akita Prefectural Board of Education is a special one. Students from high schools in Akita Prefecture are selected by the Board of Education to participate in a short-term Language & Culture summer camp hosted by the Intensive English Center. In the program, students learn English and experience American culture. Students visit other areas of Minnesota, go to museums, hike and swim at Quarry Park, attend a St. Cloud Rox baseball game, volunteer, and more. I had a chance to participate in the Akita program as an activity mentor for this summer. It was an amazing experience and one that I will remember for years to come.

As an activity mentor, we support the students and encourage their cultural learning. We accompany them on field trips, plan other activities, and answer their many questions. I had five students assigned to me. I was excited to the meet them! Before their arrival, I planned activities that would help me get to know them better. When I met my students for the first time, I was suddenly nervous. I am sure they were too. That feeling went away as I we got to know each other.

On our first day, all 30 students and the mentors did ice-breaker activities and vocabulary-building games. We challenged each other to remember our names. Then, we walked with the students to Target so they can shop for essentials during their stay. On our way, the students and their chaperones admired the Mississippi river.

Munsinger Gardens

The next day, we went to Munsinger and Clemens Gardens. The garden is on the east side of St Cloud, directly across the river from the university. We admired the beautiful flowers, saw a butterfly release, and took some great pictures. The best part was being able to spend time with my group. We talked about our interests and hobbies. The students told me they like to dance, sing, and watch cartoons. I love to play soccer and I was surprised when they told me that they also like soccer. We decided to have a soccer match before they go back to Japan.

We took another local trip to downtown St. Cloud to tour the Paramount Center for the Arts. We learned a lot about the history of the building. It’s an important part of the St. Cloud community, and some of the students purchased art made by local artists.

Mille Lacs Indian Museum

One of the first trips we took was to the Mille Lacs Indian Museum and Trading Post. It was really interesting for the students to learn about Native American history, especially since it has such an important part in Minnesota’s history. The museum staff gave presentations, explained the history, and even taught us a few Native American games. We had a picnic outside of the museum after.That same afternoon, we went to the Charles Lindbergh Museum in Little Falls, MN. For those who do not him, Charles Lindbergh was the first to make a solo transatlantic airplane flight. He flew from New York to Paris. We learned about his childhood and toured his home. The field trip was exciting, but it was a long day.

No visit to Minnesota is complete without a visit to the state capitol and Mall of America.The students visited the state capitol building and took a lot of photos. The building was beautiful. They had a tour and listened to the guide talk about the building’s art and history of the capitol. The students looked forward to our next stop—Mall of America. There are so many stores to shop in. Most of the students had lists of what they would like to buy.

One of the highlights of the program was the students’ presentations at the St. Cloud library. The students wanted to present on Japanese culture to the community. They gave great presentations about Akita prefecture, Japanese foods, and customs. Everyone was able to tell that the students improved their English in the short time they were here. I was so proud of them.

Throughout the program, the students practiced their English with us. They were very enthusiastic about learning English. We were available to the students through an app we downloaded as well, so if they had any questions or needed help, they could send us a message. Many of the students expressed interest in coming back. We gave them advice about applying for college in the US in the future.

Me with Akita Students

The program was a success. At the closing ceremony, some students and mentors gave speeches. It was an emotional time. The students enjoyed their visit so much that they were upset to leave. It was very hard to say goodbye. Even though they came here to learn, I learned a lot from them. I have worked with high school students in the past, but these students were the best. They were well-behaved and made the most of their trip. I hope that they remember this time in the US forever.

I am grateful for the IEC giving me the opportunity to participate in the Akita Language & Culture program. I really enjoyed my time. It was a highlight of my summer, and I cannot wait to participate in the next Akita program.

You may also like...

1 Response

1. Nicholas says:

This has a good reputation, according to what I’ve heard.