Connect

Did you know “Human beings are wired to connect – and we have the most complex and interesting social behavior out of all animals,”[1]

This is Zaya and in this blog I will be talking about how Reproductive Rights will connect to a larger audience.

I imagine the social connection over reproductive rights, to be about stories that are spoken verbally or written down as well as pictures of protests that are seen, memes that people are tagged in, movies and signs people make, posted on social media or being done in the real world. Stories, pictures, and movies, to me are how people connect with each other young or old. We can used these three categories to spread awareness about reproductive rights.

Stories

[2]

Stories help get messages across because of their use of pathos, which is using emotions to persuade people to care about what you are talking about. It might invoke an interest in people to keep listening and wonder, but the story being told cannot be long or people lose interested too. Stories that are told through text over any media must not go over eight paragraphs or have small font. They have to be short and sweet, but stories also needs to be fun to keep them going.

Pictures

[3]

Pictures/memes help, because who does not like a great laugh occasionally about uterus’s flicking people off and having writing underneath it that says, “my uterus my rules” to people who want to control it.  Also, pictures/memes say a lot compared to stories because we get to see what is going on with our own eyes.

Videos

[4]

Movies and videos help because they inform the mass public about reproductive rights in real time. I have seen some doctors on Tik Tok answering questions about pregnancy, birth control, vaginal care, and more.

If people see reproductive rights represented like this, they are most likely to go seek out information for themselves without people pushing them to do so. I know personally if I find something about reproductive rights on any media platform. I will Google it. By having access to social media we can reach a bigger audience to bring awareness of reproductive rights.

[1] Penttila, Nicky. “In Sync: How Humans Are Hard-Wired for Social Relationships.” Dana Foundation, Dana Foundation, 13 Nov. 2019, dana.org/article/in-sync-how-humans-are-hard-wired-for-social-relationships/.

[2]“Caucasian Delegates Networking during Conference.” GoGraph, www.gograph.com/clipart/caucasian-delegates-networking-during-conference-gg101228675.html.

[3] “Uterus Cartoon Photos, Royalty-Free Images, Graphics, Vectors & Videos.” Adobe Stock, stock.adobe.com/lv/search?k=uterus+cartoon.

[4] Times, Global. “TikTok Ban Demonstrates Barbaric Act of Rogue US: Global Times Editorial.” Global Times, www.globaltimes.cn/content/1196404.shtml.