Equity Book Group & D2L Brightspace Course
A Professional Development Opportunity for All Faculty and Staff
What: Statewide opportunity to read, discuss, interact, share and learn with a book on a topic of interest and relevance for our work. This year the topic is improving communication with students and enhancing their sense of belonging. Created by: Rebecca March and Cheryl Neudauer, Minneapolis College
The book is The College Fear Factor: How Students and Professors Misunderstand Each Other. Rebecca Cox “spent five years talking to, and watching, community college students. She noted carefully the many ways they failed their classes. She listened closely to their reasons why.” – Jay Mathews, Washington Post blog
- Three 90-minute virtual Adobe Connect meetings to discuss how the experiences and perspectives in this book relate to our students and communities. Virtual meetings are scheduled for:
- Thursday, February 21 – 12:00-1:30 pm
- Thursday, March 28 – 12:00-1:30 pm
- Thursday, April 18 – 12:00-1:30 pm
- D2L Brightspace course to explore issues related to communicating with our students both outside of and within the classroom, orally and through our documents, policies, and electronic communications and how these impact their sense of belonging. The “course” will use short, asynchronous, interactive activities to help us explore how we can better serve our students, connect across the system, and share resources.
2nd meeting, March 28, 2019.
motivation. goal has value