“Academic libraries are concerned about the digital literacy of their users but their programs continue to be focused on the information components defined by the President’s Commission on Information Literacy.” (p. 45)
Cordell, R. (2013). Library Instruction in the 21st Century. In: Rosanne, M (Ed.) Library Reference Services and Information Literacy: Models for Academic Institutions: Models for Academic Institutions. IGI Global.
More on digital literacy in this blog:
Please have a list of free and SCSU hosted resources for lecture capturing:
Other free, shareware and paid sources in our former IMS blog entry:
How BYOD Programs Can Fuel Inquiry Learning. Backchanneling.
creating a learner profile, a set of criteria the school district wanted students to learn while in school. That profile includes: seek knowledge and understanding; think critically and solve problems; listen, communicate, and interact effectively; exhibit strong personal qualities; and engage and compete in a global environment. The profile helps guide all approaches to learning in the district.
Kids already know how to use their devices, but they don’t know how to learn with their devices,” Clark said in an edWeb webinar. It’s the teacher’s role to help them discover how to connect to content, one another and learning with a device that they may have only used for texting and Facebook previously. “It’s about the kids being empowered in the classroom to make decisions about the ways that they are learning,”
Four Smart Ways to Use Cell Phones in Class
IN-CLASS BACK-CHANNELING: Backchanneling refers to the use of networks & social media to maintain an online, real-time conversation alongside spoken remarks.
IN-CLASS READINGS AND HANDOUTS. Smartphones can also be used productively in the classroom as eReaders for books and handouts. You can place all student handouts into DropBox folders (see “Dropbox A Multi-Tool for Educators”).
Using Google Docs for backchanneling with students:
10 ways to employ backchanneling in classroom instruction.
- Poll students on a particular classroom event or on a decision regarding their learning
- Crowdsource feedback on learning activities and use this input to inform your future instructional strategies.
- Backchanneling empowers students voice and make them feel they are real participants in the knowledge building taking place in the class.
- Conduct informat assessments .
- Assess students prior knowledge about a given topic.
- Brainstorm ideas for a writing project.
- Encourage students to ask questions about anything they did not understand.
- Hold synchronous discussions of video content shared in class
- Organize real time discussions in class.
- Backchanneling is a good way to engage introverts and shy students in classroom conversations.